Third Offense DUI in Oklahoma

Administrative Penalties

Upon being convicted of a third DUI offense, your license can be revoked for a period of up to three years. A special work permit may be allowed after a year’s suspension, but this too comes with an ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle.

Criminal Penalties

Monetary fines or prison sentences are considered criminal penalties. For a third offense DUI in Oklahoma, the criminal penalties you will be subjected to are as follows:

  • A jail term that will last for a minimum of one year to a maximum of 10 years.
  • A financial penalty of up to $5,000 depending on the condition and occupancy of the vehicle at the time of the incident.
  • About 480 hours of community service.
  • One year of supervision and periodic testing along with participation in assessment and evaluation for treatment.

The Lookback period

The lookback period can be defined as the time the court can take into account pervious DUI offenses committed by you. In Oklahoma, this period lasts for 10 years, and cases before this are not considered.

Felony vs. Misdemeanor

In Oklahoma, a third offense DUI is considered a felony if it occurs within a 10 year period. This means that the sentence meted out will be considered as a felony case. Other charges involving loss of life or property to others due to your offense shall be added separately and do not have to be present for the offense to be classified as a felony.

Plea Options

The charged individuals have the options of pleading guilty, not guilty or trying for a plea bargain. Plea bargaining means negotiating the sentence to have a part of it removed in exchange for community service. However, the first approach by any authority would be to plead not guilty.

Legal Help

Because of the severity of the penalties, hiring an attorney well acquainted with the DUI laws is important. 

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys