Hawaii: Underage DUI

The drinking age in Hawaii is 21 and consumption of alcohol by anyone under 21 is illegal except for medical purposes – for example, a physician administering a medical treatment. In 2010, underage drivers in Hawaii caused one-fifth of the DUI-related fatalities. In the past decade, deaths from DUI-fatalities in Hawaii rose 28% (During the same period, Hawaii’s overall DUI fatalities fell 11%.) Because underage drinkers cause a disproportionate number of alcohol-related auto fatalities, the standards are stricter and the penalties may be harsher for those under 21.

More information about Hawaii’s teen driving requirements.

What constitutes driving under the influence?

If a chemical test determines that a driver under 21 has a BAC of .02% or higher, the driver can be cited for driving under the influence. (For those 21 or older, the BAC is .08%)

What are the penalties?

If First Drunk Driving Conviction: imprisonment (up to 1 year), fine ($150 to $1,000), license suspension (up to 180 days)(more information: First Offense DUI in Hawaii).

If Second Drunk Driving Conviction within 5 Years: imprisonment (mandatory minimum of 5 days) fine ($500 up to $1,500) license suspension (up to 1 year). (More Information: Second Offense DUI in Hawaii.)

What if you refuse the chemical test? Read about Hawaii implied consent laws.

What other charges?

In addition to driving under the influence, an underage drinker may be charged with any of the following:

  • distributing alcohol to other minors (were there underage drunk passengers?),
  • minor in possession,
  • soliciting alcohol,
  • child endangerment law violations,
  • possession of false identification (was a fake id used to purchase alcohol?), and
  • moving and vehicle maintenance violations (what else did the arresting officer see?). 

What happens to insurance?

Some insurance companies may terminate a policy after an underage DUI (while others refuse to renew). Most companies simply raise the cost of the monthly premium by $100 to $200 (sometimes higher) for a higher risk policy. The raise usually stays in place for three to five years. You’ll also probably need to furnish the DMV with an SR-22 certificate to reinstate a license after suspension (as proof of insurability). Most insurance companies furnish this form to the DMV. Check with your insurer to see if it performs this service.

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys