First Offense DUI in Idaho
If convicted of a first DUI in Idaho, a driver faces both criminal penalties and administrative action.The administrative action -- license suspension -- commences prior to criminal proceedings or conviction.
- Refusals to submit under Idaho implied consent laws results in mandatory license suspension for a period of one (1) year, but offenders are eligible for restricted license during this period, upon installation of an ignition interlock device and payment of $250 fine
- License suspension for first offense DUI in Idaho carries administrative suspension periods of ninety (90) days, with possibility for restricted license after thirty (30) days
- Reinstatement or restricted reinstatement may involve use of ignition interlock device on case-by-case basis at the discretion of the court.
- First offense DUI in Idaho carries no minimum period of incarceration, but defendants face the potential of up to six (6) months in jail
- Fines in first offense DUI convictions in Idaho are not more than $1,000, but fine amount does not include costs incurred during resolution of criminal case or administrative issues
- Convictions influence charging and sentencing in future subsequent DUI arrests in Idaho for a period of ten (10) years
Get Legal Help
Defendants in DUI cases in Idaho have the option, pending case-specific considerations and the effective use of legal counsel, to obtain a reduction of the DUI charge to a lesser criminal offense in plea option. Likewise, defendants should actively seek out dismissal of charges in any case as well. For more information and insight, consult with an Idaho DUI lawyer.