Ignition Interlock Devices in Alaska

When is an IID Authorized in Alaska?

Alaska has legislated the use of ignition interlock devices (IIDs) for certain drivers convicted of alcohol related driving offenses. Alaska courts are required to order the installation and maintenance of IIDs for:

  • a first DUI Conviction in which the license is suspended for at least 90 days, an IID is required for minimum of one year during probation.
  • a second (and subsequent but NOT felony) DUI Conviction in which the license is suspended for at least a year, an IID is required for minimum of two years during probation.
  • convictions based on refusals to take a chemical test, the court must order an IID. The length of time the IID is required depends on the number of previous convictions for DUI/Refusal.

An Alaska court can order you to drive a vehicle with an ignition interlock device (IID) installed. The DMV is required to place a “C” (ignition interlock device required) restriction on your driver license. The back of the license will state “IID REQUIRED” under the heading “Restrictions.” On a limited driver's license, “Ignition Interlock Device Required” is printed in bold letters on the paper license.

What’s an IID?

An IID connects to the vehicle dashboard and the driver breaths into the device prior to starting the vehicle. If the IID detects a BAC above the limit programmed for the device (typically calibrated at .02%), then the engine won’t start. Read more about ignition interlock devices (IIDs).

Your Alaska Driving Record

When DMV receives the court order, DMV enters one or both of the restrictions and the IID ending date on your driving record.

Where Can I Find an IID Provider?

IID providers are approved for installation throughout Alaska. You can find a list of approved IID providers at the Alaska Dept. of Corrections website: http://www.correct.state.ak.us/administrative-services/ignition-interlock-device-certification. If you live in a remote "off highway" location where vehicle registration is not required, a judge may allow you to operate vehicles without an IID.

Who Pays For it?

In almost all cases the driver who has been convicted of a DUI/DWI pays for the installation and lease of the ignition interlock system. You can expect to pay up to $100 for installation and between $50-$100 per month for the lease. This is a rough estimate and your price may be higher or lower depending on your location.

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys