Second Offense DUI in Utah

In Utah, a second DUI (within 10 years of a prior first offense) results in license suspension, jail time and fines.

Administrative Penalties

Your driver's license will be suspended for two years after a second DUI in Utah. It will be taken away during your arrest, and you will be issued a temporary license that is valid for the next 30 days, after which it will be confiscated. You will need to pay $200 to get your license reinstated after the two year period.

Additionally, you will be considered an alcohol restricted driver for the next ten years, which means you cannot drive after having consumed any amount of alcohol. This status will appear on your driving record. If you violate it, you face another year of a suspended license, and three more years as an alcohol restricted driver.

You can apply for a restricted license during the 10 year suspension period, but only after the first three years. You must be free of violations in the last year to get this license, which allows you to drive to work or school. Whether you try to get the restricted license or wait out the suspension period, you need to complete alcohol treatment and testing and have to use an ignition interlock device for three years.

There is also the possibility that your car will be impounded after your second DUI. Finally, 240 hours of community service must be served.

Criminal Penalties

You will spend at least 10 days in jail for a second DUI in Utah and you will have to pay at least $800 in fines. These are in addition to other expenses, such as the alcohol treatment program and ignition interlock device.

Lookback Period

The period of time during which an earlier DUI counts as a "prior offense" is 10 years.

Felony vs. Misdemeanor in Utah

This state considers a second DUI a misdemeanor.

Plea Options

In Utah, you may be able to get a DUI reduced to a lesser charge, such as a wet reckless. You can do this through a plea bargain, amd you may benefit from the help of a lawyer. 

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys