Alaska: Underage DUI

The drinking age in Alaska is 21 and consumption of alcohol by anyone under 21 is illegal with the following exceptions:

  • on private, non alcohol-selling premises, with consent of a legal guardian  -- for example, with legal guardian’s permission at a party
  • for medical purposes – for example, a physician administering a medical treatment

Because underage drinkers cause a disproportionate number of alcohol-related auto fatalities, the standards are stricter and the penalties are harsher for those under 21.

More information about Alaska’s teen driving requirements.

What constitutes driving under the influence?

Alaska is a zero-tolerance state. If a chemical test determines that an under-21 driver has a blood alcohol content (BAC) above 00.00%, the driver can be cited for driving under the influence.

What are the penalties?

If First Drunk Driving Conviction: imprisonment (minimum of 72 hours which may be served in a Community Residential Center), fine ($1,500), license suspension (90 days)(more information: First Offense DUI on Alaska).

If Second Drunk Driving Conviction within 10 Years: imprisonment (minimum of 20 days which may be served in a Community Residential Center) fine ($3,000) license suspension (1 year). (More Information: Second Offense DUI in Alaska.

What if you refuse the chemical test? Read about Alaska implied consent laws

What other charges?

In addition to driving under the influence, an underage drinker may be charged with any of the following:

  • distributing alcohol to other minors (were there underage drunk passengers?),
  • minor in possession,
  • soliciting alcohol,
  • child endangerment law violations,
  • possession of false identification (was a fake id used to purchase alcohol?), and
  • moving and vehicle maintenance violations (what else did the arresting officer see?) 

What happens to insurance?

Some insurance companies may terminate a policy after an underage DUI (while others refuse to renew). Most simply raise the cost of the monthly premium by $100 to $200 (sometimes higher) for a higher risk policy. The raise usually stays in place for three to five years. You’ll also probably need to furnish the DMV with an SR-22 certificate to reinstate a license after suspension (as proof of insurability). Most insurance companies furnish this form to the DMV. Check with your insurer to see if it performs this service.

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys