Third Offense DUI in Alaska

It is a Class C felony to be convicted of a third DUI in Alaska within 15 years.  If it has been more than 15 years since your last DUI, however, it is considered a misdemeanor.  


If this is your third DUI in Alaska within 15 years, you face at least 120 days in jail, though you could spend a maximum of to 5 years incarcerated. Of course, you will also have a felony on your record. If the last DUI offense was over 15 years ago and you have been charged with a misdemeanor, you can spend 60 days to 1 year in jail.  

The minimum fine associated with felony DUI in Alaska is $10,000, in addition to a $200 surcharge. A misdemeanor carries a minimum fine of $4000, in addition to a $1000 incarceration charge and a $125 surcharge. Since these are just the minimum fines, it is possible that you will have to pay more, especially if you do not use a lawyer to try to reduce them.

Administrative Penalties

Being charged with a Class C felony means that you will never get your license back, making it illegal for you to ever drive again. Your car will also be seized by the authorities in Alaska. A misdemeanor results in your license being revoked for 3 years, though you can request a limited license to get to work or school during this time. However, it is up to the judge to decide whether you qualify for this kind of license, and you will have to pay about $100 for it if you do get one.

After you have served your jail time for your third DUI in Alaska, you will need to complete an alcohol treatment program, which will include an evaluation to determine whether you are dependent on alcohol. You will have to pay out of pocket for the program.

You will need to show proof of an SR22 insurance policy before you get your license back. You will need to keep this policy for 3 years after the offense. In most cases, you will also have to pay to install an ignition interlock device on your car for 3 years.

Talk to an Attorney about Plea Options

In Alaska, you are allowed to plea the DUI down to a charge that carries fewer penalties. For example, you can get it reduced to a wet reckless charge. A lawyer's advice is recommended.

Protect Yourself. Talk to a Lawyer About Your Case

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a DUI Defense attorney

We've helped 115 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you