Maine: Underage DUI

The drinking age in Maine is 21 and consumption of alcohol by anyone under 21 is illegal unless it is on private, non alcohol-selling premises, with consent of a legal guardian   -- for example, with legal guardian’s permission at a party. Although drivers under 21 account for approximately 10% of licensed drivers, they account for 16% of DUI related fatalities in Maine, according to one survey. Because underage drinkers cause a disproportionate number of alcohol-related auto fatalities, the standards are stricter and the penalties may be harsher for those under 21.

More information about Maine’s teen driving requirements.

What constitutes driving under the influence?

Maine is a zero-tolerance state. If a chemical test determines that an under-21 driver has a blood alcohol content (BAC) above 00.00%, the driver can be cited for driving under the influence.

What are the penalties?

If First Drunk Driving Conviction: imprisonment (2 days up to 30 days), fine ($500), license suspension (90 days)(more information:  First Offense DUI in Maine).

If Second Drunk Driving Conviction within 5 Years: imprisonment (7 days to 6 months jail) fine ($1,000) license suspension (1 year). (More Information:  Second Offense DUI in Maine.)

What if you refuse the chemical test? Read about Maine implied consent laws.  

What other charges?

In addition to driving under the influence, an underage drinker may be charged with any of the following:

  • distributing alcohol to other minors (were there underage drunk passengers?),
  • minor in possession,
  • soliciting alcohol,
  • child endangerment law violations,
  • possession of false identification (was a fake id used to purchase alcohol?), and
  • moving and vehicle maintenance violations (what else did the arresting officer see?).

What happens to insurance?

Some insurance companies may terminate a policy after an underage DUI (while others refuse to renew). Most companies simply raise the cost of the monthly premium by $100 to $200 (sometimes higher) for a higher risk policy. The raise usually stays in place for three to five years. You’ll also probably need to furnish the DMV with an SR-22 certificate to reinstate a license after suspension (as proof of insurability). Most insurance companies furnish this form to the DMV. Check with your insurer to see if it performs this service.

Protect Yourself. Talk to a Lawyer About Your Case

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a DUI Defense attorney

We've helped 115 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you